Township of Tyendinaga Fire Chief: James Oliver

Fire Website:

The Township of Tyendinaga Fire Department was formed in 1992 by a dedicated group of residents concerned about the rising costs of purchasing protection from outside the municipal boundaries.

A special thanks to that group including Wayne Prest, Paul Hanna, John Hill, Claire Kennelly, Glen McMechan, Bruce Demille and Dan Callaghan along with countless other volunteers from the community. Without their dedication and forethought, we would not have the progressive fire department we have today. The Fire Hall is located at the corner of Melrose Road and Weese Road along with the Municipal Office, the Library and the Roads Department.

The department responds to calls for assistance for fire emergencies as well as medical assistance to the ambulance and motor vehicle accidents. The Fire Department also provides fire prevention and inspections upon request for residents. If your group is interested in a speaker attending your meetings to speak on Fire Prevention, the department would be pleased to attend. Our fleet of apparatus includes a pumper truck, two tanker trucks, a rescue truck, a pick up truck and a side by side for off road use. Thirty dedicated and irreplaceable volunteers respond from our one station at Melrose.

The Township of Tyendinaga Fire Department has achieved the Superior Tanker Shuttle Accreditation from Fire Underwriters through the use of developed water sources throughout the Township. Residents who are within 8 km of the Fire Hall should enjoy a better insurance rate.

  • Become a Volunteer Firefighter

    Join a dedicated group dedicated to developing their skills through training and responding to emergencies.

    Click here to view the recruitment handbook and volunteer application.

  • Fire Permits

    Fire Permits are obtained at the Municipal Office or online. “Yearly” permits (based on a calendar year January to December) cost $25.

    All controlled burns are to be called in to 1-855-930-1990. Please follow the prompts for who is having the fire, the permit number, type of fire and the location of the fire.

    Click here to apply for a burn permit online

     Click here to view the open air by-law.



  • Fire Marshall

    Visit for the Office of the Ontario Fire Marshall.

  • Fire Prevention

    Visit for information on fire prevention.

  • Emergency Measures Ontario (EMO)

    You can avoid panic, protect or limit damage to your property and possibly save lives when a disaster strikes if your prepared. Know the risks, make a plan and get a kit.
    Everyone has a responsible role in Emergency Preparedness planning. Follow these links to learn how your community is prepared, and how you and your family can prepare for a disaster or an emergency.

    Links to Emergency Preparedness Information

  • Carbon Monoxide

    Why Should I Care About Carbon Monoxide?

    It Kills.

    Many Canadians die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning in their own homes, most of them while

    It Injures.

    Hundreds of Canadians are hospitalized every year from carbon monoxide poisoning, many of whom are
    permanently disabled. Everyone is at Risk – 88% of all homes have something that poses a carbon
    monoxide threat.

    Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, toxic gas that enters the body through the lungs
    during the normal breathing process. It replaces oxygen in the blood and prevents the flow of oxygen to
    the heart, brain and other vital organs

    Where does Carbon Monoxide Come From?

    Produced when carbon-based fuels are incompletely burned such as:

    • Wood
    • Propane
    • Natural Gas
    • Heating Oil
    • Coal
    • Kerosene
    • Charcoal
    • Gasoline

    What Are the Main Sources of Carbon Monoxide in my Home?

    Wood burning/gas stoves, gas refrigerators, gasoline engines, kerosene heaters and others.

    How Can I Tell if There is a Carbon Monoxide Leak in my Home?


    • Headache, nausea, burning eyes, fainting, confusion, drowsiness.
    • Often mistaken for common ailments like the flu
    • Symptoms improve when away from the home for a period of time
    • Symptoms experienced by more than one member of the household.
    • Continued exposure to higher levels may result in unconscious, brain damage and death.
    • The elderly, children and people with heart or respiratory conditions may be particularly sensitive to carbon monoxide.


    • Air feels stale/stuffy
    • Excessive moisture on windows or walls
    • Sharp penetrating odor or smell of gas when furnace or other fuel burning appliance turns on.
    • Burning and pilot light flames are yellow/orange, not blue
    • Pilot light on the furnace or water heater goes out
    • Chalky white powder or soot build up occurs around exhaust vent or chimney.

    How Can I protect Myself and my Family?

    • Regularly maintained appliances that are properly ventilated should not produce hazardous levels
      of carbon monoxide
    • Have a qualified service professional inspect your fuel burning appliance(s) at least once per
    • Have you chimney inspected and cleaned every year by a W.E.T.T. certified professional.
    • Be sure your carbon monoxide detector has been certified to the Canadian Standard Association (CSA) CAN/CGA 6.19 standard or the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) 2034 standard.
    • Install a carbon monoxide detector in or near the sleeping area(s) of the home.
    • Install the carbon monoxide detector(s) in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

    What Should I Do if my Carbon Monoxide Detector Starts Beeping?


    To Keep Safe Please Remember:

    You have a responsibility to know about the dangers of carbon monoxide. Your knowledge and actions may save lives.

    A carbon monoxide detector is a good second line of defense. It is not a substitute for the proper care and maintenance of your fuel burning appliance(s). Take the time to learn about the use of carbon monoxide detectors in your home to ensure you are using the equipment properly and effectively.

    Where To Install A Carbon Monoxide Detector

    Since carbon monoxide moves freely in the air, the suggested location is in or as near as possible to sleeping areas of the home. The human body is most vulnerable to the effects of carbon monoxide during sleeping hours. To work properly the unit must not be blocked by furniture or draperies. Carbon Monoxide is virtually the same weight as air and therefore the alarm protects you in a high or low location.

    For maximum protection, a carbon monoxide detector should be located outside primary sleeping areas, in sleeping areas and in each level of your home.

    Where NOT to Install a CO Detector

    Some locations may interfere with the proper operation of the alarm and may cause false alarms or trouble signals.

    CO detectors should not be installed in the following locations:

    • Where the temperature may drop below 4.4o C (40oF) or exceed 37.8oC (100oF).
    • Near paint thinner fumes or household cleaning products. Ensure proper ventilation when using these types of chemicals.
    • Within 1.5m (5 feet) of any cooking or open flame appliances such as furnaces, stoves and fireplaces.
    • In exhaust streams from gas engines, vents, flues or chimneys.
    • Do not place in close proximity to an automobile exhaust pipe; this will damage the detector.


    Test your carbon monoxide detector regularly to make sure it is operating properly. The owner’s manual should tell you how to test your alarm. Remember to check the manual for information on when to buy a new carbon monoxide detector.

    If you have any questions regarding co safety, please contact the fire department.

Contact Us

James Oliver
~ Fire Chief
440 Weese Road, RR #1, Shannonville, ON K0K 3AO