Joint Compliance Audit Committee
The Corporations of the Townships and Municipalities of Hastings County are seeking applicants for a Joint Hastings County 2022 Election Compliance Audit Committee for the 2022 Municipal Election. The Committee will serve all fourteen municipalities.
Purpose of the Joint Compliance Audit Committee
- Consider compliance audit applications made by electors and decide whether they should be granted or rejected
- Appoint an auditor if the application is granted
- Receive the auditor’s report
- Consider the auditor’s report and decide if legal proceedings should be commenced
- Advise Council if the auditor’s report indicates that there were no apparent contraventions and if there appears to be no reasonable grounds for the application
Applicant Preferred Qualifications
- Understanding of the campaign financing rules of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996
- Analytical and decision-making skills
- Experience working on committees, task forces or similar settings
- Demonstrated knowledge of quasi-judicial proceedings
- Availability and willingness to attend daytime and/or evening meetings
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A background in accounting, auditing, law, law enforcement and academics from related fields
Individuals who have run for office in Municipal Elections for any of the participating municipalities, or who have conducted audits or provided financial advice with respect to Municipal Elections for any of the participating municipalities or candidates will be disqualified.
The committee will commence in 2022 and continue until 2026. Municipal Election candidates have until March 21, 2023 to file their financial statements; requests for a Compliance Audit will occur after that date. While Compliance Audit requests for the 2022 Municipal Election must be submitted by June 29, 2023, a by-election could result in the need for the Joint Compliance Audit Committee to sit during the term of Council.
The remuneration will be an established per diem rate of $150 per meeting, plus mileage at the current CRA rate of per kilometer.
A copy of the required application form can be obtained below or by contacting the Municipal Clerk of the Township of Stirling-Rawdon.
Completed applications can be submitted to no later than Noon on August 29th, 2022 to:
Kathy Pearl, Clerk
Township of Stirling-Rawdon
P.O. Box 40
2529 Stirling-Marmora Road
Stirling, ON K0K 3E0
In accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, a completed application form for a compliance audit of election campaign finances must be submitted to the Municipal Clerk by June 29, 2023.
Application – Joint Compliance Audit Committee
Terms of Reference – Joint Compliance Audit Committee