In solidarity with Ukraine, Council observed a moment of silence at its March 7th meeting, reflecting on the devastating crisis inflicted on the Ukrainian people.
Council directed staff to promote verified agencies who are supporting the Ukrainian Crisis. Council strongly encourages Tyendinaga residents that are able to do so, to please consider a donation to one of many charities supporting that to contribute to the Ukraine Humanitarian Crisis Appeal.
- The Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal, established by the Ukrainian Canadian Congress (UCC) and the Canada-Ukraine Foundation (CUF) is working with Ukrainian government ministries, who are in the best position to advise on the needs on the ground so that we can ensure that the donations we receive meet the needs of the Ukrainian people.
- The Canadian Red Cross is supporting the efforts of its Red Cross Movement partners to provide humanitarian assistance to those affected by the crisis in Ukraine. The Government of Canada will match all donations by individual Canadians to a maximum of $10 million. Red Cross has confirmed that they have reached this mark but additional donations will still be accepted.
- Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) teams in Ukraine are deeply worried about the consequences of the conflict for Ukrainian people and communities. As hostilities continue, ensuring people’s access to health care and medicines is critical. MSF is focused on; distributing war-wounded kits to hospitals, providing telemedicine and getting essential staff and supplies.
- Friends of Ukraine Defence Forces (FUDF) Fund was established in 2014. Since then the FUDF has raise over $3 million in funds for medical supplies, hygiene products, and other humanitarian aid. These donations support those in Armed Forces, casualties, displaced persons, and children.
- Founded in 1993 this Canadian charity, focuses on humanitarian aid in Ukraine and Canada. They are providing urgently requested medical supplies to volunteer medical units in Ukraine, and also collecting NEW medical supplies to send to Ukraine. A complete list of items can be found on their website.
- According to the Executive Director Catherine Russell, ““UNICEF is working across eastern Ukraine to scale up life-saving programmes for children. This includes trucking safe water to conflict-affected areas; prepositioning health, hygiene and emergency education supplies as close as possible to communities near the line of contact; and working with municipalities to ensure there is immediate help for children and families in need.”